The present church has 13th century origins but was substantially rebuilt in the 14th century. The fine west tower with its stair turret and four pinnacles was added in the 15th century, also the chapel was enlarged in 1516. Following a lightning strike in 1624, which destroyed all but the tower, the church was rebuilt and rededicated in 1629. We have a ring of eight bells in the tower which were all were rehung in 1991. Our font was made in 1628 of local sandstone and has been described as the best production of its period in Kent. The pulpit dates from the same time.
The parish has a leaflet on the history of the building which can be downloaded as a PDF from the web site HERE.
The church has many memorials to local families; Hasted has the following:-
Among other monuments and inscriptions, in the middle isle, is an iron plate and inscription for Richard Streatfeild, obt. 1601. A stone, with a brass plate and inscription in black letter, for Richard Streatfeild of Cransted, obt. 1584; a like stone, for William, son of Thomas Birchensty, of Sussex, by Anne, coheir of John Fremling, who left two daughters, Anne and Catherine, obt. 1637. In the south isle, a memorial for Anne, wife of John Basset, of Eatonbridge, who left three daughters and two sons, obt. 1714; and for Thomas Basset of Cowden, son of Michael Basset of Chidingstone, obt. 1714; on a pillar, in the body of the church, a monument for Henry Streatfeild, gent. late of Great Highstreet house, the eldest son of Rich. Streatfeild of the same, obt. 1709. and is buried under the iron plate in the middle isle, erected by Henry his eldest son, and for Sarah his wife, obt. 1716. In the chancel, a memorial for Richard Nurse, rector of Chidingstone, obt. June 10, 1705, æt. 65; another with a brass plate, for Margaret Waters, widow, first married to John Reeve, of London, obt. 1638; her daughter, Frances, was wife of John Seyliard, esq. on a pillar, a hatchment for Thomas Streatfeild, gent. obt. 1628; on the north side, called Bore-place chapel, against the wall is a brass plate and inscription for Strode Hyde, esq. of Bore-place, obt. 1742; on the south side of the altar, an escutcheon and inscription for John Shefferden, gent. who married Frank, daughter and coheir of Thomas Streatfield, of this parish, obt. 1645. An altar tomb for Frances, daughter of John Reeve, married first to Thomas Streatfield; secondly, to John Seyliard; by the former she had four sons, by the latter two, obt. 1650. In the south chancel, a memorial for Tho. Woodgate, citizen and ironmonger of London, son of Wm. Woodgate, of this parish, gent. obt. 1706; he married Susannah, daughter of Thomas Seyliard, esq. of Penhurst, by whom he had two sons and four daughters. Against a pillar, a small monument for W. Streatfeild, gent. late of Burgherst court, second son of Henry Streatfeild, gent. of Highstreet house, obt. 1724, s. p. On the same pillar an escutcheon, with an inscription, for Rich. Streatfeild, of this parish, gent. ob. 1676; arms, Streatfeild, parted per pale gules, and sable three besants or. (fn. 17) The chapel on the north side, called Bore-place chapel, was built by Sir Robert Read, in 1516, and was dedicated to St. Catherine, in which he founded a chantry by his deed, dated in the year following.